Break up Advice icon

Civil Partnership Breakdown

We introduce you to up to 4 trusted lawyers, tailored to your needs

What else you might like to know about Civil Partnership Breakdown

The break up of a civil partnership can be an emotional time in your life, which is why it is important to gain the advice and guidance of a professional. Here is some basic advice and guidance to help inform your choice of legal service provider.

How do I go about ending a civil partnership?

You have to apply to court to end a civil partnership and set out the reasons for this. If you have been in the partnership for at least 1 year, you can apply for what is known as a dissolution order which will bring the civil partnership to an end. There are options if you have been in the partnership for less than 1 year. A legal service provider will be able to give you expert advice on the best options available to you.

What if the split is not amicable?

You should always consult with a legal service provider if your relationship is ending on bad terms and there are disagreements about finances or arrangements for the children. They will offer expert advice on the best options for you. If an agreement cannot be reached, you may need to go to court where a judge will look at all the factors of the case before making a decision. 

Can a civil partnership be ended quicker?

If you have been in a civil partnership for less than a year then you can apply for a separation order at any time. However, if you wish to marry or enter into another civil partnership in the future then you will still need to obtain a dissolution order.

What pricing structures can I expect?

A legal service provider may be able to offer a fixed fee in such cases. For more complex cases, they may charge on an hourly basis. Find the best solution for you by comparing costs with The Law Superstore now.

How can I find the best legal service provider?

When looking for legal assistance during a civil partnership's breakdown, face-to-face meetings may be important to achieving the right outcome, so consider the location of your legal service provider. It is also worth considering factors such as reputation, cost and the size of a firm before making your decision.


Answer a few short questions now and start comparing legal service providers based on the criteria most important to you.

  • Large Panel

    Over 50+ firms of lawyers

  • Best Price

    Cheaper than going direct

  • Accredited

    Certified and regulated panel

How our process works

1. Tell us about your situation

Situation icon

2. Provide and verify your details

Verify icon

3. We shortlist up to 4 lawyers

Shortlist icon

4. Our partners follow up with you

Follow up icon

It’s quick and easy to find legal services for
Civil Partnership Breakdown

Get Quotes

  • A very good site. It brought up several different quotes for my service which I was able to compare and I'm very satisfied with the provider I've chosen.

    Judith G
  • The site was well laid out and everything was easy to understand. Through The Law Superstore I found a great solicitor who has expert knowledge about the field I needed. I did look at other sites in my search for a solicitor, but The Law Superstore was the only site that didn't want payment upfront.

    Tim W
  • Fine. Efficient and friendly. The site was well laid out. Everything was easy to understand and I was able to select a solicitor easily.

    Eileen W
  • The website was really really good, I found it very easy to use and find the service I needed. It has been designed to look extremely professional and I really think it is a fantastic idea. I’ve actually got the website saved so if I do have the need for a legal service provider in the future I know where to go.

    Rupinder S
  • It’s a really useful tool for finding a solicitor; I thought that the website was really well designed, clear and easy to use. I had no issues finding the service I required and liked the fact all the results were displayed in a comparison table, I can see that you have a wide range of firms on your panel.

    Brian P