Relationship Advice icon

Gender Recognition Advice

We introduce you to up to 4 trusted lawyers, tailored to your needs

What else you might like to know about Gender Recognition Advice

If you are looking to formalise your change of gender, you may wish to apply for a gender recognition certificate. An experienced legal service provider is well placed to guide you through the process. Here is some basic advice to inform your choice of legal expert.

How do I legally change my gender?

In order to change your gender and have it legally recognised, you must apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate. There are three main routes to get a certificate depending on your situation. A legal service provider can offer expert advice on the best route available to you. 

What are the criteria for obtaining a Gender Recognition Certificate?

You can apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate by the ‘standard’ and ‘alternative’ routes. You must be aged 18 or over, have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria and must have lived in your new gender for a number of years. You may be able to apply by the overseas route if your new gender has been accepted in an approved country. Your legal services provider will be able to advise you about the process in detail.

What if I am married or in a civil partnership?

If you are married or in a civil partnership then the process of obtaining a Gender Recognition Certificate is different. Both spouses in a marriage may need to sign a declaration of your intent to stay married or you may need to convert a civil partnership to a marriage.

How will a legal service provider help?

A legal service provider is well placed to make the gender recognition process simple and straightforward. An experienced legal expert will be able to explain the necessary procedures in detail and guide you through the legal structures in place. A legal service provider will also assist you with the application forms, documentation and evidence required to obtain a Gender Recognition Certificate.

How should I choose a legal expert?

Gender recognition is a delicate issue for many and as such you will need to appoint a legal expert you can trust and feel comfortable dealing with. You should also look to engage a legal service provider with experience of handling these matters.


Other considerations when choosing a legal service provider may include the location, cost or reputation of a firm. Answer a few short questions now and start comparing legal service providers based on the criteria most important to you.

What pricing structure can I expect?

A legal service provider will often be able to quote you a fixed fee or fixed fee with capped hours for assistance with obtaining a Gender Recognition Certificate.

  • Large Panel

    Over 50+ firms of lawyers

  • Best Price

    Cheaper than going direct

  • Accredited

    Certified and regulated panel

How our process works

1. Tell us about your situation

Situation icon

2. Provide and verify your details

Verify icon

3. We shortlist up to 4 lawyers

Shortlist icon

4. Our partners follow up with you

Follow up icon

It’s quick and easy to find legal services for
Gender Recognition Advice

Get Quotes

  • A very good site. It brought up several different quotes for my service which I was able to compare and I'm very satisfied with the provider I've chosen.

    Judith G
  • The site was well laid out and everything was easy to understand. Through The Law Superstore I found a great solicitor who has expert knowledge about the field I needed. I did look at other sites in my search for a solicitor, but The Law Superstore was the only site that didn't want payment upfront.

    Tim W
  • Fine. Efficient and friendly. The site was well laid out. Everything was easy to understand and I was able to select a solicitor easily.

    Eileen W
  • The website was really really good, I found it very easy to use and find the service I needed. It has been designed to look extremely professional and I really think it is a fantastic idea. I’ve actually got the website saved so if I do have the need for a legal service provider in the future I know where to go.

    Rupinder S
  • It’s a really useful tool for finding a solicitor; I thought that the website was really well designed, clear and easy to use. I had no issues finding the service I required and liked the fact all the results were displayed in a comparison table, I can see that you have a wide range of firms on your panel.

    Brian P