What Paperwork Do I Need to Get a Divorce?

Deciding to petition for divorce can often feel overwhelming. A divorce, the fears of not knowing how to move forward, the costs, as well as the paperwork can make the process emotionally taxing.

There are quite a few forms to be filled out when it comes to the divorce process. But often these can be dealt with directly by your solicitor. And in many straightforward cases, where you agree to the divorce as a couple, the paperwork isn’t complicated.

Knowing which paperwork and documents you need to hand when filing for divorce will make the process move more smoothly.

What paperwork do I need when petitioning for a divorce?

The information needed for a divorce petition form is minimal. Most importantly, you’ll need your marriage certificate. Sometimes you can apply for a divorce without your marriage certificate, depending on the circumstance. But you’ll have to fill out another form (D11) and pay a fee.

If you don’t have your marriage certificate, you can request a copy from a register office. This can be done online and costs £9.25. If you're sending a copy, make sure it's a certified copy, not simply a photocopy, as this won’t be accepted.

If your marriage certificate is in another language, you’ll have to include a certified translation.

You will have to include your spouse’s current address on the form. This is so they can be sent a copy of the petition to agree to, or contest. It could be sent to a home or work address.

If you don’t know where your spouse is, you can fill out other forms to have the petition sent by email. You can also fill out a form to miss out that part of the process if they can't be located. Each of these will have a fee attached.

If your relationship with your ex-partner is particularly difficult, you may not want them to know where you're living. You can fill out a C8 form to stop your address from being revealed to your spouse.

Don’t forget you’ll need to send three copies of the petition form, along with a payment for the process.

Perhaps you have disagreed with your partner about finances and need a Financial Order. This will be Form A and will be included with your petition. There is a fee and this will slow the divorce down, as it can't be moved forward until the court order is agreed.

What paperwork do I need when responding to a divorce petition?

If your spouse has sent you a divorce petition, and you agree, you simply have to sign the acknowledgement of service form. You don't need to include any paperwork, you only need to post it to the courts.. You will need to post the form within 8 days of receiving it.

Perhaps you disagree with the terms, or you don't want the divorce. Either way, you'll need to fill out the same form but use the section where you're defending against it. You will have to post this within 8 days, as well as post an answer to the divorce petition form, explaining your reasoning. This must be posted within 21 days and will cost £245.

What paperwork do I need when applying for a decree nisi?

A decree nisi is the confirmation from the courts that they see no reason why you can’t get divorced.

You apply to the court for a decree nisi, and fill out a statement form based on the grounds for divorce. Perhaps the reason for divorce is unreasonable behaviour/adultery etc.

You will also need to attach your spouse’s response to the petition. If your spouse is contesting the divorce, you can fill out section B of the form, and ask for a ‘case management hearing’. This will cost £50.

What paperwork do I need when applying for a decree absolute?

A decree absolute is the final piece of paperwork and signals the dissolution of your marriage. You must wait six weeks from receiving the decree nisi before you can apply for a decree absolute.

Once the six weeks has passed, you simply fill out a final paper requesting a decree absolute. The court will check it against your paperwork and you’ll receive the decree absolute by post. This is provided no reasons come to light that prevent the divorce.

Speak to a divorce solicitor

While petitioning for divorce can seem complicated, there isn't as much paperwork as you might think. But it’s essential you keep copies of your divorce paperwork safe, and any official documents kept together.

It's a good idea to seek legal advice from a divorce solicitor. They will keep you up to date on any changes to the process or any forms you might have to fill in. For example, they can support you if your spouse is contesting and you need to go to a court hearing.

Be aware of all the different charges that may apply when paperwork has to be resubmitted or questioned. Take care when filling out the forms.

Petitioning for divorce can feel like a slow process. But a good divorce lawyer will ensure that everything is moving through at the appropriate pace and make it as painless as possible.

At The Law Superstore, you can compare divorce solicitors near you - completely free.

Find and compare legal providers in your area